Sometimes there are no words other than silence to best express the thoughts I have about Judge Wright’s order essentially referring John Steele and the Prenda Law Inc. gang to the IRS’ Criminal Investigation Division (CID) for all the settlements on which no taxes were paid. There is one police agency that a criminal organization does not want to be contacted by, and that is the CID.
The $81K in sanctions essentially funds the lead attorneys who spent time on this case. And, the referral to the bar associations means that the principals at Prenda Law Inc. may no longer have their law licenses shortly.
In sum, there is not much for me to comment here, except to be silent, because the judge’s order itself says all it needs to. Copyright trolling may seem profitable for the attorneys filing the lawsuits, but no money can compensate for the loss of freedom that one experiences when what was once a multi-million dollar law practice lands the principles in prison for tax evasion. This should be a lesson to all other copyright trolls out there. Judge yourselves accordingly.
Originally posted on Fight © Trolls :
We have been waiting for this moment for a long time. Congratulations to everyone involved, especially Morgan and Nick.
- TechDirt: Judge Wright Tells Team Prenda To Pay $80k, Refers Their Activity To State Bars, Feds & IRS by Mike Masnick.
- Wired: Judge Asks IRS, Feds to Investigate Copyright-Trolling Attorneys by David Kravets.
- Popehat: Does Prenda Believe In No-Win Scenarios? Because Judge Wright Just Gave Them One by Ken White.
- ArsTechnica: Prenda hammered: Judge sends porn-trolling lawyers to criminal investigators by Joe Mullin.
- TorrentLawyer (Rob Cashman) has reblogged this post adding some interesting thoughts.
- DieTrollDie: Judge Wright Fires One Hell Of A Photon Torpedo at Prenda Law — 2:12-cv-08333 (CA).
- StarTribune (MN): California judge slams Minneapolis attorneys in copyright trolling cases by Dan Browning.
- Los Angeles Times: Judge fines firm for improperly enforcing porn copyrights by Stuart Pfeifer.
- TorrentFreak: Federal Judge Fires Phasers, Photons at Prenda for $80k Damages
View original 427 more words